The EU-Asia Financial Services Roundtable
the regulatory issues faced by financial
markets participants in Europe and Asia
Those jurisdictions with whom we enjoy close cooperation include Japan, South Korea, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, the ASEAN members and India.
The Roundtable complements the Structured Dialogue on financial regulation the EU enjoys with key Asian jurisdictions.
Chair – Nickolas Reinhardt, Afore Consulting
Vice-Chair – Jennifer Keser, Tradeweb Europe Limited
Treasurer – Niccolo Pagani, Standard Chartered Bank
Head of Secretariat – Andreas Priglmeir, Afore Consulting
Board Member – Michalis Sotiropoulos, DTCC
Board Member– Jean- Remi Lopez, London Stock Exchange
Board Member – Edmund Lakin, HSBC
Board Member – Rhodri Williams, AIG
Board Member – Anjena Narang, Moody's
Board Member – Luc Vantomme, Euroclear
Payments and FinTech
What do we do?
- Exchange information on matters relevant to EU and Asian financial services;
- Raise awareness among European and Asian policy makers, regulators and supervisors on the role of financial services for the respective economies and international trade;
- Provide expertise and knowledge to EU and Asian policy makers, regulators and supervisors on the functioning of financial services; and
- Advocate, where appropriate, for changes to the regional and international rules and regulations to promote trade and smooth regulatory and supervisory cooperation between the EU and Asian jurisdictions on financial services.
- Briefings and position papers on topical issues which may impact members or where members can share their expertise with European and Asian policy makers, regulators and supervisors
- Inviting EU and Asian policy makers, regulators and supervisors to exchange views with the members of the EU-Asia Financial Services Roundtable. These exchanges have been with DG FISMA of the European Commission; MEPs active on the EU Asia delegations of the European Parliament; relevant officials from the ESAs, the ECB and SRB; regulators and supervisors from European countries (including in the context of the G20); Asian Missions to the EU; and Asian delegations visiting Brussels;
- Tracking European institutions and agencies on policy and regulatory issues impacting the Roundtable members;
- Working with other trade associations, as appropriate; and
- Facilitating contacts between members and European and Asian policy makers, regulators and supervisors.
Membership of the EU-Asia Financial Services Roundtable is open to financial services institutions and their associations that have a direct interest in promoting trade and smooth regulatory and supervisory cooperation on financial services between the EU and Asian jurisdictions. It is open to companies and associations authorised or registered in any European or Asian jurisdiction.
The EU-Asia Financial Services Roundtable regularly organises events with European and Asian policymakers to discuss crosscutting issues which are important to both regions of the world.
9th EU-Asia Financial Services Dialogue
Save the date: 28-29 February 2024
This annual event is co-hosted by Afore Consulting and the Asia Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association (ASIFMA). Serving as the private stakeholder event, the Dialogue will take place the day after the EU-Asia-Pacific Forum on Financial Regulation organised by the European Commission and APAC Regional Committee of IOSCO. The event brings together around 250 regulators, supervisors, representatives from the financial services industry, as well as academics from Europe and Asia. We will have our dinner on the evening of 28th February and the Dialogue on 29th February.
We ask you to put a hold on these dates in your calendar. Further details will follow shortly.
Webinar: China’s Securities Markets – 2023 Update
We hosted a webinar on current policy and regulatory developments in China’s securities markets. We zoomed in on equity, bond and fixed-income markets and also discussed Swap Connect. Local experts from our member companies helped explore these market developments: Li Renn Tsai, Tradeweb, Florence M H Lee, HSBC and Celine Luo, Standard Chartered. The discussion was moderated by our Chair Nickolas Reinhardt, Director, Afore Consulting and our Vice-Chair Jennifer Keser, Tradeweb.
Meeting with the Japanese Mission to the EU
In June 2023, the Round Table met with the Japanese Mission to the EU to explore the achievements and priorities of Japan’s G7 Presidency. Among other things, Japan continues to advance the regulation of cryptocurrencies. The Japanese perspective on the EU market, as well as the so called “Brussels effect” were also discussed by the participants.
Meeting with the Japanese FSA
In May 2023 Satoshi Ikeda, Chief Sustainable Finance Officer of the Japanese Financial Services Agency (JFSA), presented the current priorities of the JFSA. Satoshi explained the Japanese approach to achieving net-zero and the role of sustainable finance. He talked about the JFSA’s workstreams regarding corporate disclosure, ESG ratings and data, as well as transition finance. Japan notably chose not to introduce a Taxonomy – of course in contrast to the EU and many other jurisdictions
During its Annual General Meeting in May 2023 Nickolas Reinhardt was elected the new Chair of the EU Asia Financial Services Roundtable. Jennifer Keser was re-confirmed as Vice-Chair and Niccolo Pagani was elected as our new Treasurer.
Preparing the Delegation Visit of the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee of the European Parliament to Tokyo, Japan, May 2023
A delegation of the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee (ECON) of the European Parliament (EP) travelled to Tokyo in May 2023. Ahead of the trip, the EU Asia Financial Services Roundtable met with Members and officials of the EP. Our members briefed the Parliament representatives on key economic, public policy and financial services regulatory developments in Japan.
Meeting with the Sustainable Finance Institute Asia
In April 2023 Eugene Wong, CEO of the Sustainable Finance Institute Asia, presented Version 2 of ASEAN’s Taxonomy to the EU Asia Financial Services Roundtable. Eugene also put the ASEAN Taxonomy into the context of taxonomies of individual countries constituting the region. Participants discussed among other things private carbon markets and corporate disclosure.
We look forward to hearing from you!
For more information on the EU-Asia Financial Services Roundtable, or if you interested in supporting its activities and membership, please contact Nickolas Reinhardt, Chair, at email@example.com or Andreas Priglmeir, Head of the Secretariat, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why we store this data?
©2023 EU Asia Financial Services Round Table